Wednesday 6 July 2016

Downwell (2015)




This week I decided to delete the blog then I decided I write for myself and to bring it back again... anyway on the recommendation of a friend (@Antlol666) I decided to look in to the game Downwell, now I was curious about it after hearing so much about it online and through friends but it was only when it was on sale on the Vita store for under £4.00 that I decided it couldn't hurt even for that price and man I don't regret this at all, I love this title a lot but first I wanna talk about how this game came to be.

The game was the 13th title developed my Japanese Developer 'Moppin' who had previously done a few gamejam type games in order to challenge himself. Downwell was going to be another of these games however the developer saw the potential and continued to work on it even after the week was over. After sharing images and Gifs on his own Twitter the game came to the attention of Publisher Devolver Digital. With that the game was soon to be released on IOS and Android devices in 2015 and shortly after on Sony devices in 2016.

I can see why this was originally released on mobile platform, I mean it works well on the Vita but it's so addictive and quick to play/end that it just seems like the kind of thing you would play on your commute to work, I could not see myself playing this on the PS4.. I mean I could for sure but it's so simple quick and addictive I feel it works well on the move. I couldn't play it for more than say 20 mins but I could play it a lot throughout the day if I wanted to.

This game is entirely simplistic, It takes no real thought and no real strategy. In a sense it is almost 'roguelike' much like The Binding Of Issac and other games like Rogue Legacy, I think these kind of games are fantastic and both of those mentioned above are some of my favourite games I got through the Playstation Plus service. It can be quite difficult as you get in to it but the game is so quick and easy to start that you will find yourself playing it over and over.



I love the simplistic art style, it's your standard pixel 'Indie' design, however it is purely black and white other than the frame you choose for the game, so basically it's black, white and another colour until you unlock more frames. Personally I prefer the classic Gameboy frame in which it is monochrome because it reminds me of when I used to play my Gameboy Pocket but I feel the Red frame which you start with is really appealing to the eyes.

There is not really any story or plot point to the game, dude jumps down a well and fights whatever is on the way down trying to harm him while trying to collect any treasure he might come across. A simple story with even simpler gameplay, there are just three basic controls, movement, jumping and shooting with each stage getting increasingly more difficult with new enemies, items and things on screen at one time.

I think with games like this I can actually understand why people play video games on their mobile phones, I mean I still do not think I would as I have portable consoles however I believe games like Downwell that have short addicting gameplay work incredibly well on this platform and obviously were tailored toward it in one form or another, why wouldn't someone just pick up their phone play maybe 4 mins and the put it away, it's an absolute short time killer and the more I think about it it's similar to the mobile game Doodle Jump.

The game has a lot in the way of multipliers and shops, I myself rarely use the shops as I like to save the currency in order to unlock more things at the end of each level, but the shops allow you to heal, buy weapons and more. The multipliers are fantastic and allows the gameplay to become even faster and chaotic, I personally like the drone multiplier and laser combo myself. That's the beauty of it you can just keep it stacking with weapons and other multipliers after each level or if you take the time to go to a cave.

There is not a lot more I can say about a game that's this simplistic but overall this is a mobile game above all else, I could never play a game on my phone because I see it as just that, a phone however having this on the Vita was fantastic. I dearly hope this gets brought to the 3DS for those who do not own a Vita because, it's cheap, It's quick and above all it is a lot of fun. It goes to show a game so simple can be a contender against a world of AAA titles left right and centre.




No comments:

Post a Comment